Bella Vida

Married for 6 years. Trying to have a baby almost as long. Living a Beautiful Life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Married & Trying to have a baby for almost 4 years. Dealing with MF (male factor infertility).

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Day 7 Check your labels

Yesterday I watched a tivo'd special Dr. Oz had on DHC. I had no idea partially hydrongenated oils and enriched ingredients are so terrible for you. Actually, I didn't even know exactly what they were until the special and "enriched" always sounded like a good thing when reading food labels. Tomorrow...er...eventually, I need to have a cabinet clean-out. Until then I'll be reading every label armed with new information.

Well guys, it's the end of week one. Whew! I can't believe I made it and resisted Bojangles chicken strips and UTZ cheese balls. Dr. Oz says it takes 2-weeks to form a new habit. 1-down, 1-to-go. It hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be. I can honestly say it's probably the easiest "diet" I've ever been on. I'm even getting used to the green goo :) The hardest part has been the cleaning and chopping of all the veggies, but I hate doing that stuff even when I'm making chicken pot pies and the like. Grocery shopping is also a bit of a chore for now. I think I need to figure out where the best places to go are and when. Anyone got any tips?

Good luck to everyone this week. I know it's gonna be tough with the holiday for those of us in the US, but do your best and don't feel guilty about enjoying a little stuffing on Turkey day :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

If I knew more about your area I could probably recommend some great shops and stuff (that sounded totally stalkerish, I swear I didn't mean for it to!). Try your local farmers markets, every city has them, and you'll get to know the farmers and the people who actually grow the stuff. It's a wonderful experience and the vegetables and produce is always SO much better. If you don't have a farmers market, a place like Whole Foods is great for certain items (it can be more expensive than other health food stores for certain items, but it can also be WAY cheaper on certain items, it's all about being armed with the knowledge of what a good price is vs. a bad price and everything).

Wow this comment is long!

I've always found chopping and cleaning vegetables rather relaxing, but maybe that's because I get very zen about it. I light a candle, and I turn on some good music and I just, make the entire process like a big treat for myself because, well, it is. I'm taking care of MY body and if that isn't something to celebrate, I don't know what is.

1 WEEK DOWN! CONGRATULATIONS!

4:31 AM  
Blogger Pamela T. said...

Good work! And yes, reading about ingredients is critical to making good food purchases. I've been much healthier (and thinner) since I cut out trans fats. My favorite place to get unprocessed or minor processed food is Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck). It's expensive, but you get what you pay for...and our health is worth a lot!

11:03 AM  
Blogger deanna said...

Congrats on making it through your first week!

And, thanks for posting the link about hydrogenated oils! I've been so confused about what the deal is with trans fat, and what it is. I had no idea it was the same thing as the hydro oil, and also had no idea just how bad they really are!

Have you heard about that new documentary, "King Corn?" It's coming out this month, and has A LOT to say about the harmful effects of corn in our diet. I saw a brief interview with the filmmakers this weekend, and am anxious to see it.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home