Bella Vida

Married for 6 years. Trying to have a baby almost as long. Living a Beautiful Life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Married & Trying to have a baby for almost 4 years. Dealing with MF (male factor infertility).

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Days 26-27...Expense of eating well


I grocery shop often. Always have. I can go to the grocery store daily and it doesn't at all feel weird. However, since starting this Challenge I have not only been shopping daily--but also visiting multiple stores daily. Eating everything fresh keeps me going to the store and the green drink ingredients are not as easy to find as one may think. Parsley, spinach and ginger are not available at every grocery store daily. Parsley seems to be the toughest. Even if the store has it, it usually looks like crap. WTF is up with the pond of nasty water most stores have it floating in? I know they don't want it to dry out, but isn't that what the fake "rainfall" is for?

And then there's the expense. Wow. I have really noticed that it's pretty pricey to eat like this and I'm not even doing all organic. Not even half organic. I haven't figured out if there's a trick to save more yet. I do shop around at different stores cuz I know certain things are cheaper at certain stores. For example, cucumbers are .99 cents each at Safeway and 3 for $2.00 at Giant. Shoppers Food Warehouse is hit-or-miss with the fruits and veggies, but it tends to be a cheaper store overall. Anyway, I'd say my grocery store bill has probably doubled. It being winter isn't helping either. Ughhhh.

BTW, I want to thank APoopSlingingMonkey for the suggestion of recycling pulp back through the juicer. Definitely works!!

4 Comments:

Blogger AwkwardMoments said...

we did all organic/candida cleanse for 3 months .... HOLY drainage of the bank account batman. That was when we realized that "eating healthy in America is WAY too expensive"

5:22 AM  
Blogger Dr. Grumbles said...

Ahh, yes. My friends joke that I do not wear designer clothes, drive a fancy car, or spend money on fancy night out... but I buy "designer" groceries! I keep telling myself my health should be worth it.

11:58 AM  
Blogger deanna said...

I HATE the herb moat! At our Giant, all their fresh-cut herbs float in that funk, and I totally don't get the reasoning behind it. I usually pick up a hunk of something, watch the drippage with disdain, and return the hunk to its stagnant resting place. Ick!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Pamela T. said...

I rationalize it this way. It may be more expensive to eat the good stuff, but I'm going to feel and look better in the long run and that's worth a lot! Good job sticking with it...

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home