Bella Vida

Married for 6 years. Trying to have a baby almost as long. Living a Beautiful Life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Married & Trying to have a baby for almost 4 years. Dealing with MF (male factor infertility).

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Back from doc...again

The consultation lasted all of 10 minutes. The Mini-IVF program was designed for those that can't afford to drop $15-20,000 AND don't have insurance. However, if you want minimum stimulation IVF and you have insurance, you can get it and pay the $5-7,000 out-of-pocket. So that's it. He said I was a good candidate (due to my age and no health problems) for the MS IVF and can go that route if we choose to. D and I chatted with a nice woman about how we could possibly pay for all this. Co-insurance, contract rates, co-pays--blah, wah, blah, wah. I was confused most of the time. This is all so unfair. And I know life isn't fair. But I'm just pissed now. I'm pissed that this is all so damn expensive and our insurance only covers $5,000. I'm pissed that I have to make these choices. I'm pissed that we have a "0% chance" of conceiving on our own and a "5% chance" with IUI and a "40-50% chance" with regular IVF. You fucking serious???

As I had been warned, the doctor is rather dry and to the point. Reminded me of Dr. Y at G.BMC. Nice, but dry. Not a lot of warmth.

I don't really know what else to say about the appointment. If anyone has a question--I'll be glad to answer...once I stop drinking.

7 Comments:

Blogger In and Out of Luck said...

I know, it is very frustrating. The unevenness of insurance - it's infuriating. Good luck deciding on which road to go - it's good news that the doctor found you a good candidate for the MS IVF.

7:26 PM  
Blogger LJ said...

On the plus side, I'm glad you're a good candidate, but I'm so sorry that it is so expensive.

I am virtually drinking with you, I have a shitty (non-if, non-work) story to tell in the AM or later tonight. MMM. Woo-Woos are tasty

8:30 PM  
Blogger Lea Bee said...

hey, i'm drinking too :). sorry the cost is so high.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Drink up! Have one for me too while you are at it since I just willingly gave up over $10K to my Doc. Ouch.

Man, I just hope this works for both of us this time!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Changing Expectations said...

Argghh, IF and $$ is so frustrating.

I'll be joining you virtually for a stiff drink - I'll have what you're having.

Glad to hear that you are a good candidate. Good luck with your decision.

9:51 PM  
Blogger TeamWinks said...

Stinks that the deciding factor for having children for so many women is $$$. Stinks!

10:30 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

Zero insurance coverage SUCKS...we are in the same boat. Ill be drinking along with you!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home