Bella Vida

Married for 6 years. Trying to have a baby almost as long. Living a Beautiful Life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Married & Trying to have a baby for almost 4 years. Dealing with MF (male factor infertility).

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Summer Salads


Chicken Salad pic from Web. Looks very much like my mine did.

Since our brief stay with my in-laws, I'm addicted to tuna salad. My mother-in-law had some in her fridge the night of the grape martinis and I fell in love with it the moment I tasted it. I kept telling hubbs how wonderful it was and how he just had to taste it. So he finally tastes it and of course says "um...yeah. Tastes like it always does." My face kinda went flat and then I became instantly jealous that he grew up eating something so wonderful on a regular basis. Anyway, I found a similar recipe online and it's very good:

Barbie's Tuna Salad
  • 1 (7 ounce) can white tuna, drained and flaked
  • 4-6 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
  • 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
  • 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried minced onion flakes*
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1 pinch garlic powder
In a medium bowl, stir together the tuna, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and onion flakes. Season with curry powder, parsley, dill and garlic powder. Mix well and serve with crackers or on a sandwich.

*When my MIL makes it, she soaks the onion flakes in water first. I've been doing it too and I like it better than leaving them dry.

Changes I made:
I doubled the recipe and used 2-cans of tuna.
I didn't add the curry or dill b/c I didn't have them.
I used a lot more relish and onion flakes than called for--but I'm excessive like that.
I added salt and pepper and a bit it cayenne.
I added 2 boiled eggs.

While we were in Hawaii, we ate lunch at a little deli and had a wonderful (expensive) chicken salad. I made this recipe too: Carol's Chicken Salad using rotisserie chicken I got from the grocery store. Also very good. The grapes added a nice sweet burst to the chicken. I left the nuts and celery out, added 1 boiled egg and used Parm instead of Swiss. Great quick recipes for someone who barely has a kitchen!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

That all sounds so good! I'm a sucker for a good chicken or tuna salad anyday! I love to add apples, grapes, and pecans or walnuts, too. Now, I'm hungry for that, don't have the ingredients, and don't feel like running up to the grocery store. Thanks a lot!
;-)

4:24 PM  
Blogger beagle said...

I am going to try the chicken salad! Looks great . . . love the idea of using a ready cooked chicken too!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home