Bella Vida

Married for 6 years. Trying to have a baby almost as long. Living a Beautiful Life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Married & Trying to have a baby for almost 4 years. Dealing with MF (male factor infertility).

Friday, May 30, 2008

Back to reality


Crazy, right? Sofas on top of each other, random doors--just a mess.

Umm...yeah. I woke up last Thursday morning to a soaking wet first floor. I immediately went nuts and called hubbs in Hawaii (at 4am his time) to find out how to shut the water off from inside the house.* I honestly can't even believe the last week. Thank goodness that my in-laws are close by and retired b/c the shit was a mess. Our hot water heater went bad and there is no drain the in storage closet where it sits. My father-in-law and husbands cousin came over to suck the water outta the carpet. They also helped me move the furniture and put stuff under the legs so the wood wouldn't be ruined. I can't tell you how thankful I am to have had people to help me through this.

On Friday night, I went to my in-laws to take a shower. I get there and my father-in-law (FIL) asks me have I ever had a grape martini. I tell him no and he then insists I have one. Now I knew that once I start drinking I was done for the evening which meant I wouldn't be driving home. I know I must have had at least six martinis plus 2-shots. I definitely out-drank my FIL. The next morning (Saturday) I jumped up at o-dark-thirty and ran home b/c I'd left my pets without care overnight. They were fine and I waited for my FIL and the plumber to arrive so I could leave and pick-up hubbs from the airport. My FIL arrived holding his head and looking totally hungover. By the time we got back from the airport, the plumber was gone and so was my FIL. Plumber couldn't help b/c it turns out we have polybutylene pipes--which I'm actually familiar with b/c of the horror stories, but had no idea we had them. INSERT: Total panic. Then I get a call from my mother-in-law telling me that she's had to rush FIL to the hospital due to chest pains. Shit. My poor husband was so tired that I told him to sleep while I handled all phone calls, floor rip-up, and furniture moving. Once we finally get the hospital we learned that my FIL needed to have 2-stents put in to 80-90% blocked arteries. He got through surgery fine and should be resting, but won't.

On Sunday I get a call from my mom telling me that my uncle had been car-jacked and robbed at gunpoint while attending a chess tournament. He tore a tendon in his knee while running from gunshots and is having surgery today. We were suppose to go with my aunt and uncle to Vegas in July, but his doctor says he can't take the trip now. This is all so nuts. The whole freaking weekend is a blur and I can't believe all that actually happened.

Long story shortened, I called insurance and they sent someone over the weekend to collect the carpet, padding and wood floors. There was no working water, and blowers and dehumidifiers were going everywhere--so once I pick up the hubbs from the airport, we went to his parents to stay. On Tuesday, the new water heater was installed (thanks only to family members) and we're back to the home-with-no-floors. Oh yeah, they also found termites in a corner next to the pipes eating their nasty little way through the trim. Fuckers. Someone came this morning and sprayed/treated for them. I hope it fixes the problem.

Everyone is safe and seemingly fine now. I have to be thankful for that. I have a terrible cold and have been in bed for 2-days. Feeling a little better now. We're living in the bedroom and the insurance adjuster won't be here until June 5th. Yeah. Isn't that all kinds of wonderful.

I felt so bad for my husband having to come home to all of this from Hawaii.

*Notes:
1. Know where your emergency shut-offs are and how to operate them.
2. When you leave town, turn your household water off. Can you imagine if this had happened while we were away?!!!


No floors!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Sunny said...

HOLY CRAP!!!! I am so sorry for all the drama. If you didn't need a drink before, you sure do now!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh my goodness! Glad everyone is OK and that the house is back on the mend.

And I concur on shutting the water off when you leave for vacation. I do have a friend at work who had just had her kitchen and powder room remodeled and there was a leak when they went away on vacation for a week last fall. She's still finishing up having everything redone on the first floor of the house.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Oh wow, what a week. That's a rough one!

7:50 PM  
Blogger JJ said...

Myyyyy goodness, D! We learned the hard way too, a while ago, about shutting off the water before leaving for an extended time-not fun.
Hope the days are brighter soon! And have another grape martini ;0)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Oh my goodness you and your family have been through the wringer! A house I rented once flooded and it was such a hassle and mess to deal with! I hope it goes better for you (we were dealing with lazy landlords, bah!). Take care!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hey there! I just wanted to tell you the same thing happened to me a few years back with the polybutelene pipes. Our kitchen had to be completely gutted because the ceiling caved in. (They ran the pipes through the ceiling in that house.) I don't know if you can still do this but there was a class action law suit with Shell Oil over those pipes and we wound up getting 100% reimbursement to have the whole house re-plumbed with pvc. Good Luck!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oops! just noticed your link is about the settlement! That's what I get for commenting before reading it! Take care!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Geez! I am so sorry that all that happened to you and your family. I hope everything gets better soon for your uncle, FIL, and your home. Keep us updated.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Deathstar said...

Holey moley! You handled it all beautifully. Wishing you FIL and uncle get better real soon. Just be the best DIL and niece you can be, your family will appreciate it.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home