Bella Vida

Married for 6 years. Trying to have a baby almost as long. Living a Beautiful Life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Married & Trying to have a baby for almost 4 years. Dealing with MF (male factor infertility).

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Positive False Hope

I sincerely want to thank everyone who left a kind message. Your stories and sweet words helped tremendously. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the most part, I've given up on a miracle pregnancy. Every now and then I allow hope to seep in, but generally I know better. My cycle has been 33 days for a few years now. Maybe twice since I got off the pill in 2004 has my period been early and ONCE it was late 2-days. This week it was late. Five days late. I also had a host of symptoms--but we all know how our bodies can play serious games with us, so I take those with a grain of salt. I happened to have a Dollartree pregnancy test and hubbs and I agreed it was time to test. So I get outta bed Wednesday morning and I POAS. At first, it looks like the usual really dark control line and no line next to it. Then it begins to look different. It begins to look like something I've never seen before--another line is forming next to the C-line below the T. So I'm standing in my bathroom thinking no fucking way. No fucking way. Fu.ck me--it's really there. I crawl back into bed and tell my husband I think he's going to be a father. I went back to the bathroom and got the test to show him and he's sees the line too. A FAINT line but one you could clearly see. But I was worried. I mean, shouldn't it be darker with my period being so late? But ya know...seeing a miracle form before your eyes in the form of a 2nd line tends to kill rational thought. Hubbs is beyond excited but we're both trying hard to keep it together and remind ourselves that this could really be some kind of cruel error. Turns out that was a good idea cuz it was just that--an error. Apparently Dollartree New Choice HPTs had at least 2-lots (could be more) of tests that were/are giving people false positives and I happen to be one of the lucky fools. Isn't that something?

Anyway, it's been tough. I can't even begin to explain the crazy that went on. Can you imagine how devastated I was to have to tell my husband it was all a mistake. I wanted to post this to help get the word out about these tests. I've been using Dollartree tests for a long time and I've never gotten any kind of 2nd line before. Beware.

FALSE Positives
New Choice HPT (from Dollartree / Dollar Tree )
Lot Numbers:

11157C36

02288C36E

BTW--these tests are sold under different names including "One Step." If you have tests from dollar stores, please check the lot numbers by doing a Google search.



In other news IComLeavWe kicked off and I'm am way behind so I better get to reading and commenting ASAP.

22 Comments:

Blogger Happy said...

Oooh, what a crappy thing to happen. I'm sorry.

8:40 AM  
Blogger TeamWinks said...

Now that's just plain wrong!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Ugh, that is awful. I'm so sorry for the false positive and that you got your hopes up like that.

Now I feel justified in spending a fortune for my favorite brand -- aside from the fortune that I spend for the RE to do blood tests!

12:28 PM  
Blogger LJ said...

Same thing happened to me once, it was totally craptacular.

12:53 PM  
Blogger nh said...

I'm sorry - that's horrid.

(ICLW)

2:08 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

That happened to me with a new choice test too. I got all excited and didn't have a drink with dinner, thinking I was pg. We bought an FRER and the way home from dinner and it was negative. Sucked. Bigtime. (HUGS)

(ICLW)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Hope2morrow said...

How heartbreaking! I am so sorry, but I appreciate the warning about the Dollar Tree HPTs.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

So not fair! It just plain sucks that you got your hopes up like that...and then had to take it all away. I'm sorry...

8:41 PM  
Blogger Lost in Space said...

I am so so sorry. I can't even imagine having that kind of hope crushed. Huge hugs to you.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Esperanza said...

Well that is not cool. Sorry that you had to go thru that.

9:39 AM  
Blogger alicia said...

ohh man, that is awful. Ahh I am so mad and upset and hurt for you. I can't believe that.

I am so sorry, so sorry.

here from ICLW

2:58 PM  
Blogger hopeful to hateful in 28 days said...

I'm really sorry about the pee stick. What a cruel, cruel thing.

I'm also sorry about your cat. I have 2 & they are family. I can imagine how hard it is.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that.

Good luck on your journey, wherever it may take you.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Oh my god, what a nightmare. I am so so so sorry you had to endure that false hope. Big hugs to you.

(Here from ICLW)

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do use the DollarTree HPTs specially starting at 13dpo or dpiui but I have the mroe expensive, supposedly more reliable ones as back-up also. Just in case the DollarTree variety tests positive, I retest with the other kind just to make sure before I do the dance of joy. Sorry for the false positive.

I'm sorry about your loss of Pumpkin as well.

9:26 PM  
Blogger E. Phantzi said...

man, that sucks beyond belief.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Jaymee said...

BIGGEST HUGEST HUGS!!!!!!!!
That is awful. Do not give up hope, it is all we have.

Thank you for your comment.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry; I'm crushed for you.

And *hugs* about your cat. I just had to put mine down last week.

(ICLW)

7:28 PM  
Blogger CappyPrincess said...

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment - and a bit miffed that there are whole batches of these tests out there floating around handing out false positives.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Oh my gosh I am soooo sorry. I can not imagine what that was like for you. Dang dollar store tests!!

12:51 PM  
Blogger astral said...

That sucks. I'm so sorry.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Sunny said...

My heart is so sad. :( IF sucks so bad!

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home